Monday, March 4, 2013

Radio Testing

I bought my XBee radios over 3 years ago, but never actually got them working. I've been playing around a bit with them in my lab, and happened to come across a document explaining that an Arduino with XBee shield running an empty sketch can play the role of an XBee Explorer so decided to try it out. I hooked up a loopback circuit on my reciever, and used the digi X-CTU software to run the test. Results were flawless! Had my XBees up and running in less than 10 minutes talking across a rather small gap... will do some proper range tests once I get the battery and stuff sorted out.

99% Success rate!!!
Test setup showing my not-quite overlapping-antennas
Interestingly it seems the antennas are not required for communication... the u.fl connector alone can support some degree of signal at least over the short range tested. (As a side note, I got the antennas from ebay for about $5 including shipping). But unless I run into mass restrictions, the antenna will stay for now... at worst I can always take off the plastic casing and keep the wire whip.

In other news, I'm getting ready to defend my thesis so I'm not planning on ordering parts anytime soon... but defence date is in 2 weeks so... more electronics in the near future? I think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment